Going way personal today. Take it or leave it, but I always write what moves me. Thanks!
We are so very excited to meet you. I’ve been going back and forth between nervousness and excitement over the past few weeks, because I know that you’re going to make your appearance within the next few weeks.
Your sisters and brother are looking forward to meetingÂ you, noticing every single baby that we have passed in the last few weeks with increasing interest. If history is any indicator, they are going to watch over you, support you, and help you as you grow. Just don’t let them pin the blame on you. I know from experience. :-)
One day you’ll read this with a smile. I don’t usually share my personal life with the rest of the world. It’s just not the way I do things, and I would be willing to bet that you are going to share some of those introverted tendencies. What’s funny is that I can jump on stage and talk about anything, but when it comes to small talk and meeting new people I am much less adept. I’ll try to teach you both as best I can so that you are able to overcome any challenge or take advantage of any opportunity.
You are incredibly special to us and (as far as we know) will complete the vision we have had for our family since we met almost fifteen years ago. Did you realize that your mom and I met in high school and instantly fell in love? Yes, we had no clue what “love” meant at the time, but it has grown with us steadily over the years, allowing us to grow our family along with it through a variety of means.
There are many things that I plan to teach you, whether you’re a boy or a girl.
- I’ll teach you to make funny faces, even if the time isn’t the most appropriate. Laughter is medicine, and I happen to be an expert in it.
- We’ll do handstands and cartwheels. I’ll show you how to walk on your hands and we’ll laugh together when we fall over.
- I’ll show you how to cook. We’ll have adventures in the kitchen making things that sound crazy but just might be delicious.
- We’ll explore the outdoors. I’ll teach you about all kinds of fun things like the sun and how it works. I’ll gladly answer all kinds of off-the-wall questions like why the sky is blue or why frogs don’t have tails. We’ll learn together.
- I’ll teach you to fish, and how to sit quietly together even when there’s not a fish around for miles.
- I’ll show you what it means to live by faith, not by sight. I’ll instruct and guide you so that you grow up to love others, not judge them. This is one of the most important things that I need the time to help you understand.
I’ll show you these and a thousand other things, because it’s my job. But it’s also my pleasure. My treat. My sheer joy. Your mom always laughs that I get along with kids so much because we’re on the same wavelength. Maybe it’s true, but I have yet to be crippled or hampered by that fact!
You’ll learn in time that I’m not perfect, but you’ll also see that love can overcome so many imperfections.
Little one, please know that you are loved, treasured, and desired. I can’t wait to meet you and we all look forward to this new adventure.
How blessed we all are to have you in our lives! You are appreciated more than you will ever know. When it comes to our family, you are the rock that holds us together. You provide that Christian leadership that is so very important for our kids. When it comes to your work, you are truly dedicated. You balance both responsibilities so well. Thanks for making me cry. Can’t wait to meet peanut!
Awww . . . how sweet! And very cool of you to walk a little on the wild side and share something personal. Congrats on your new little bundle.
Thanks Judy! I appreciate the comment. We are excited in more ways than I can even count. :-)