I often get people who tell me they are too busy to read blogs in the HR/recruiting space. I just shake my head, because as busy as they might be, I am doing that (and more) every single day. Yes, it’s a conscious effort to do something to enhance my own knowledge, but it has been worth it so far and I can only imagine how much it will continue to impact my career and professional development.
Why do I encourage people to read blogs?
- It’s an amazing way to increase your creativity.
- Being satisfied never made anyone great. Stay hungry.
- You’ll be smarter than those who don’t take the time for it.
- It’s free.
- You can save money on a consultant. Seriously.
- It isn’t someone else’s job to train you. You have to own your own growth.
And that’s just scratching the surface. I position my own use of social media as a competitive advantage. If you want to be successful, work to understand it. As the Social Media Director for NASHRM, I’m always available for a quick chat, whether it’s about social media policies or recruiting with social tools.
It’s not rocket science or brain surgery (or rocket surgery). All it takes is a willingness to learn!