Getting certified. Its a big deal for some people. Not so much for others. And some people just laugh at others about it. Why in the world do people put themselves through this kind of stuff? Well, here are the top 15 reasons to take the PHR or SPHR exam… And if you don’t get humor/sarcasm, then this ain’t the post for you. :-)
- Your boss told you to.
- You really want that nifty certificate on your wall.
- It’s easier to be the “smug HR person” when you have letters after your name.
- It can help you pick up HR chicks/dudes.
- You want to show your mastery of some subject so boring that it would make a librarian cry.
- You needed an excuse to get the Rock the PHR guide.
- You need something to balance that upcoming performance review.
- That new job you’re looking at requires it.
- You’re in HR. Other than torturing employees, you have a lot of free time.
- You’d like to demonstrate excellence in (snort) and commitment to (giggle) the HR profession (cough). Riiiight.
- All the cool kids are doing it.
- You enjoy spending hundreds of dollars on study materials.
- Because Dwight Schrute would do it if he was in HR.
- You want to learn new and creative ways to make employees miserable.
- Because you want your HR department to do more than plan birthday parties.
And there you have them! The top 15 reasons to take the PHR or SPHR exam. Think you could do better? Have something to add? Drop it in the comments below.
#10 is hilarious! :)
Like anyone would really want to do that! :-)
It’s like high school–being one of the cool kids #11, thanks for making me laugh out loud today! :)
Glad I could help. HR needs more laughs. :-D
Yes, like #4, I have always found that when I use “hey baby, care to find out what SPHR really stands for” really slays them. Chicks dig the SPHR designation
*Barry White voice* “Hey, baby. Want to go home with a REAL HR pro?” :-)