AKA: How to use employment videos for social recruiting
Social recruiting is discussed often, but one of the lesser mentioned facets is video. While many companies know it’s something they should pursue, they don’t know how to be successful. Below you’ll find some ideas to pursue in the area of employer videos. Just a quick word of warning, I’m going to be technical at times, because the subject warrants it. However, I’m happy to help if your organization is looking to make a move into the video arena.
First off, you want your videos to be found when people search Google, right? That’s where search engine optimization comes in. It’s a methodology for getting your videos indexed in a way that makes them easy to find by searchers.
Five tips for Video SEO (search engine optimization)
- Make the video something people want to share (more detail on this below).
- Don’t dilute your videos by posting on multiple sites (YouTube, Vimeo, Viddler, etc.).
- Titles, tags, and descriptions are useful when uploading and posting videos online, but backlinks to the videos (with relevant keywords in the anchor text) are more important for search engine rankings.
- YouTube is the #2 search engine in the world and the #1 for videos. Use that to your advantage.
- If you’re using WordPress as your content distribution platform, create a video sitemap and submit it via Google Webmaster Tools. Every little bit helps!
Now, let’s elaborate on #1 above. That’s usually the first question people have: what do the videos need to be about? Well, there are several ways to go with that, but I like to think of two kinds of people when considering these types of video: customers and potential job candidates. Think about what they would like to know about your company and give it to them!
Five ideas for your employment video content
- Interview employees and ask what they do and what they like about the job, dept, or company
- Get staff members to discuss the culture and how that affects what they do.
- Ask employees to talk about their favorite benefit/perk that you offer.
- Film the fun, unique events that make your organization special.
- Create content that is outward facing and valuable to your industry. Hint: if you’re providing thought leadership and value at a level that entices competitors to link to you, then you’re on the right track.
This list certainly isn’t all-inclusive, but it’s a great start to generating ideas that would specifically benefit your company.
Thinking about creating some employer branding videos for your company and looking for some help? Feel free to contact me if you’re looking for assistance.